Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

My children passed away in 1991 from a genetic disorder that

My children passed away in 1991 from a genetic disorder that was undiagnosed until after death and I have suffered from depression since then. Just recently the cemetary board completely stripped all of the headstones of all ornaments including the angels I had on the childrens headstone. This caused severe trauma to me again and it was like reliving their loss again. I was admitted to the hospital for suicidal thoughts and went through ECT again to try to recover from this traumatic event. Therefore, I missed starting a part time job that I had gotten. I have been on disability for mental illness and this was the first position I had the opportunity to try to work. Know I have hospital bills and loss of income from the job. I am trying to find out what recourse I have in dealing with this situation. We really needed the income even though it wasn't going to be much. What do you suggest. I certainly don't blame the employer.

TexLawyer :

Hello. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

First off, I'm truly sorry for your terrible loss. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.

TexLawyer :

How long ago did they remove the ornaments? Do you have a written contract or agreement with the cemetary?

TexLawyer :

One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot sue for emotional distress and related concequences due to a breach of contract. So, depending on how the contract reads, the most you could reasonably expect to achieve is to force them to allow you to put the ornaments back up. Being able to recover money for your lost job opportunity because they forced you to remove them is very, very unlikely. I know that is probably not the news you were hoping for, but I have to give my honest assessment.

Thank you for your assistance. I have contacted them to ask them to replace the angels but have yet to hear from them. The angels were damaged in the process of removal and my only desire is that they replace them with similar statues. As for your question concerning the written agreement, I have a deed that states that the plots are my property. Once again, thank you for your assistance.