Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

If there is an employment contract that states: Terms of

If there is an employment contract that states: Terms of Employment. Subject to the provisions for termination set forth below this agreement is for one year, renewable on the one year anniversary. Which is dated August 26th 2010. Then there is an addendum to the contract that is dated swept 30th 2011 that states: Attachment A This contract automatically renews itself on the anniversary of its original date. Additional items to this contract include Health Insurance and Pharmacy Family Coverage, as well as, any other compensation agreed to by both parties in this contract. The addendum is signed by all parties. No where in the contract or especially in the addendum does it say that the employer has the right not to renew the contract other than for theift or more the 6 weeks out for sickness. Does the employer have the right to send a letter saying they are informing me that they will not be renewing my contract upon the anniversary date. No future commissions or payments of any kind will be paid under the terms of the contract, however they would like like to sit down and discuss future options.... Is this a breach of contract[email protected] XXX XXXXXX

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

A contract must terminate in order to renew. Courts have consistently held that a contract providing for perpetual employment is, in fact, terminable at will. Therefore, the employer is permitted to elect to not renew the contract on its anniversary.

However, the fact that they want to sit down would indicate that they wish to negotiate a severance package and that is your opportunity to request whatever you feel you would need to go forward. You can get a continuation of health benefits, an office, secretarial services, etc. Ask for as much as you can and let them say no or yes.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Ken, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.