Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Do you have to be a resident in NJ for a year if you were just

Do you have to be a resident in NJ for a year if you were just discharged from the Navy on April 2013 to get a divorce from somone you were separated from for over a year in another state. Marriage took place on October 22,2011 were together for less than 6 months
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation, and before I forget, thank you for your service. I am going to assume that your home state as denoted on your paperwork with the military was not NJ, and, you were not stationed in NJ before you were discharged. Please REPLY and let me know if otherwise.

If so, then I am afraid that you have to be a resident in New Jersey for one year, indeed, before filing for divorce in NJ.

The fact that you were together for less than 6 months does not matter.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)