Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I just received a photo traffic violation for making a right-hand

I just received a photo traffic violation for making a right-hand turn on a red light without coming to a complete stop by the L A County Sheriff's department in Los Angeles County, CA.

The problem I have is that the fine is for $490. The fine seems very steep for the violation. Is there any precedent for reducing a traffic fine? Shouldn't the fine be in line with the violation?

Thanks!

Don

Hi, Don, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. If I have not Answered your question, please let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

That is a very high price to pay for failure to come to a complete stop at a red light before making a right hand turn. It certainly is not fair and it certainly is not right because I, too, believe that the "punishment should fit the crime". There is no precedent for reducing a fine which is set by law because Judges cannot change the law; they are charged with the responsibility of interpreting the law. It would be up to the State Legislature to amend the law to reflect a penalty that fits the violation. You would have to write to your State Senators and State Representatives and let them know your views on this. Only after enough citizens complain to their elected officials, will anything be done to correct the situation,

______________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Hello, Don, Thank you for the Excellent Service rating and the bonus. It was both kind and generous of you and I appreciate it greatly. Please let me know if you have any further questions and if you have any questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question like this,

"For Andrea ............ "

Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to be of assistance,

ANDREA