Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts

Hi. I live in Alberta, Canada and I was just curious what the

Hi. I live in Alberta, Canada and I was just curious what the law was for leaving children unattended in a vehicle. I constantly see people leaving their little ones in the car while they go in shopping.Sometimes they are gone for 15-20 mins at a time. Sometimes the vehicle isn't running but the windows are rolled down and it's 25 degrees outside. So yea I'm just wondering if this should be reported?

LADYLAWYER : Hi there!
LADYLAWYER : The law is vague here because it is not illegal to leave the child unattended in a car, but a person can be charged with child endangerment if it is more than a few minutes.
LADYLAWYER : It also depends on the age of he child, the weather, the time of day, etc.
LADYLAWYER : You can see here how the Edmonton Police have a whole page dedicated to reporting it if you see it:
LADYLAWYER : They recommend calling police ASAP if you see a child alone in a car. So if your question is whether you should report it if you see it, I would say yes.
LADYLAWYER : Then let the police determine if the adult should be charged or not.
Customer: It was the middle of the day and it was 25+ degrees outside. And the kids are definitely younger then 8
LADYLAWYER : Yes, I would have reported.
LADYLAWYER : At the very least, the parent should be given a warning.
Customer: Good to know. Next time I see it I will make the call. Thank you for your help! This has been very useful!
LADYLAWYER : You're so welcome! Thank you for being such a valued customer here at JA--we appreciate you!