How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owed the state 2100.00 I sent a check on 6/28 for 500.00

This answer was rated:

I owed the state 2100.00 I sent a check on 6/28 for 500.00 and it was cashed 7/11. I just sent another 500.00 yesterday and a collection agency for the state filed a judgement on me and my husband for 1980.00. With those two checks I only owe 1100.00 plus of course intrest. Maybe on my next paycheck I'll finish paying them - Question is it legal to file a judgement when the person is paying the debt? I want to write a letter to the state about what they are doing to see if they release the judgement - I don't think is fair I'm paying.

Please advise.....

Thank you for your question.

When you say a collection agency filed a judgment, do you mean that you are currently being sued by the collections agency, or do you mean that they have already sued you and obtained a judgment for 1980?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a collection agency representing the state called Pioneer Credit Recovery filed a judgement in the superior court of NJ for 1903.15....I don't owed that amount because I had sent two checks already. The state sends me their own letter stating the different options to settle my account even payment plans. It looks like the collection agency does not communicate with the state and the judgement was filed 7/15 and is already on my credit report making it worst then it already is.


I see.

If they have a judgment against you, that means that they won the judgment in a trial. Were you aware that there was a trial being held against you for the debt?

Have you changed addresses since you incurred the debt to the state?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No....I have lived at the same place for 18 years. What I don't understand how can a judgment be filed if I'm sending payments to the state directly not the agency. The amount filed is wrong. Is it legal?

It may not be.

It all depends on when the judgment was obtained. The state should have informed the debt collector that it had obtained payment on the account. However, the debt collector should have also notified you of the suit it was filing against you so that you would have an opportunity to go to court to show that you had already made payments and did not owe what they claimed. Somewhere in this chain of "suppose to's" there was a mistake.

My suspicion is that the debt collector fraudulently served you with the lawsuit.

In any case, you have two options of what you can do:

1. Continue on with your plan of contacting the state to get a written confirmation that you have made the payments on your account and then send this to the debt collector to show that the amount due under the judgment has been reduced, and enter into a plan to finalize paying the rest off.


2. You can go to the court which issued the judgment and file a Motion for Reconsideration and show the court that you were never actually served with the lawsuit, and thus your due process rights have been violated. You would then tell the court that there is new evidence which has a crucial bearing on the case and shows that the judgment amount is incorrect. You would then ask for a retrial of the matter and prove that you owe less than what the debt collector is asserting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what he sent me was a letter informing me that the judgment had been filed. I'm going to fight this because now the judgment would not be able to be release from my credit report in at least 7 years - right?

Not exactly. If the judgment remains unpaid, it will stay on your credit report. However, after you pay the judgment, you can obtain a release of judgment which you can send to the credit reporting agencies to show that the judgment has been satisfied.

I do think you should fight this if you had not been given proper notice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help.......

I'm glad to be of service. I hope you are able to get this resolved in your favor.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.