Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Hi Ely, I stopped working for a large international insurance

Hi Ely,

I stopped working for a large international insurance company in March of this year. A week ago, my former employer blanket emailed all of my customers with letter that looked like it was written by me in an attempt to solicit business (multimillion dollar accounts)...they even used a picture of me. The letter was personally addressed to each recipient and signed by me. I didn't write the letter, I never gave them a release to use my image. The letter suggested that they contact a current employee of the company. Can you give me an opinion of this matter with regards XXXXX XXXXX luck in suing them along with an idea of how dollar amounts are determined with regards XXXXX XXXXX?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend and thank you for requesting me.

Can you please tell me what state the employer is in (headquartered and if they do business in your state), and what state you are in?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

North American headquarters are in Illinois, I live in Illinois, company headquarters Zurich, Switzerland.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, friend.

Okay, then Illinois has proper jurisdiction under IL 5/2-209.

Can you give me an opinion of this matter with regards XXXXX XXXXX luck in suing them along with an idea of how dollar amounts are determined with regards XXXXX XXXXX?

I can give you an informal opinion about suit - yes. Money damages - hard to say.

To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state.

Here, they can possible be held liable of the following causes of action: interference with contractual relations and invasion of privacy.

The elements of the tort of interference with contractual relations are set out in Zamouski v. Gerrard (1971), 1 Ill. App.3d 890, 275 N.E.2d 429. These include: (1) the existence of a valid and enforceable contract between the plaintiff and another; (2) the defendant's awareness of this contractual relation; (3) the defendant's intentional and unjustified inducement of a breach of the contract; (4) a subsequent breach by the other, caused by the defendant's wrongful conduct; and (5) damages.

Invasion of privacy includes misappropriation, which is someone using your likeness without your permission.

To get damages, you would have to show if/how you lost business, but the bulk of your damages may be in the form of PUNITIVE damages, which depends solely on the Judge or Jury trying your case - see here (typical jury decision chart for this).

An attorney is recommended. May I recommend the Illinois Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your gratuity.