Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

IS IT LEGAL TO DRIVE A PICKUP WITHOUT A TAILGATE

Customer Question

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am afraid no, it is not. According to Texas Transportation Code Sec. 725.021, "the tailgate of the vehicle shall be securely closed."

Ergo, it is mandated that it should be closed while the vehicle is moving.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ely,

I understand that trucks equipped with a tailgate need to have them closed. Is it a texas law that a pickup has to have a tailgate? many trucks don't. I have three flatbeds that don't even have sides.

We haul large heavy cargo. Forklifts have to drive right up to the bumper to load and unload.

Thanks

Larry

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Is it a texas law that a pickup has to have a tailgate?

No, there is no such law. However, if the vehicle is deemed unsafe in its load while driving, the driver/owner may of course be ticketed/fined.

So while there is no law that there should be a tailgate, if the truck or other vehicle is carrying a load, is should be secured properly to avoid official attention.