How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 115426
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a house guest who will not leave. I invited her to stay

This answer was rated:

I have a house guest who will not leave. I invited her to stay with us temporarily until she found housing...but 6 months have gone by and we can't get rid of her. To complicate matters, she's on disability, and has a case worker from the Dept of Social and Health services.....but they still can't seem to find a place for her because most places won't take Medicaid. She needs constant care because of her disability, and we cannot provide this (nor should we). What are my options, especially given that she is involved with WA state DSHS? I feel like my home has been invaded.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Legally, even if she is not paying rent or if there is no written lease, you still have to treat her like a tenant. This means that you have to give her a 30 day notice to evict and upon completion of the 30 days if she has not moved out, I am sorry to state you would have to go to court and file suit for eviction against her and serve her the suit. The process can take 60 days or so from the time you give her the 30 day notice and then you file suit and get to court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. What about her family? She has many family members, although not in our immediate area. Is there any legal way to compel them to take her in?

Thank you for your response.

I am afraid that there is no law in WA that would compel her family legally to take her in. While they might have some moral obligation, the courts do not enforce moral obligations.
Law Educator, Esq. and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you