Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

is it illegal for my girlfriend to steal my password XXXXX access

is it illegal for my girlfriend to steal my password XXXXX access my email without permission, and then divulge personal information to the public?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

How did your girlfriend get your password?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know, Tina, how my girlfriend obtained my password. I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for over twenty six years, have many passwords and change regularly for security purposes, however this was on my IPAD, which the company provided me, however it is used for both business and personal in regards XXXXX XXXXX She took a snapshot of the screen and sent it (texted) to me , obviously she access my email account remotely, because she was not at my home at the time she invaded my private email account. I am concerned because I have email confirmations from my investment vendor-E-Trade, Charles Schwab my retirement and savings accounts, various bank information as well as credit card statements and receipts that are emailed after purchases. She is a Para-legal and has currently worked for a criminal defense attorney and current works for a bankruptcy lawyer. I suspect that during the day, while her boss thinks she's doing work related to her responsibilities, she is using his computer to "hack my emails". Thank you io9n advance for your time and consideration. Respectfully,

Hello again, Tony, and thank you for providing this additional information.

It is typically a criminal offense for an individual to gain access to another persons computer or electronic mail/files if they have not been provided authorization by the owner of the files. Here is a link which summarizes the law on this issue:

Not only could your girlfriend be criminally prosecuted if you report this to the police, but you could also file suit against her for invasion of privacy. I would also consider placing a fraud alert on your credit reports or purchasing an identity theft protection service since you appear concerned that she may steal your identity.

If you report this activity to her employer, they may investigate and take action against her as well.

First though, I would report this to the local police as a visit from them may motivate her to stop engaging in such conduct and then you can focus on pursuing legal action for damages if you choose to do that.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.