Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My question is "who is entitled to remaining deposit". The

My question is "who is entitled to remaining deposit". The previous owner went into a rental agreement for a covered moorage slip at Nickerson Marina. The brother than became guardian over the estate. I went into a purchase contract on the boat and was given a moorage slip contract of obligations but it was never signed as my intentions was to move the boat. I paid 2 months rent for the covered slip and questioned the balance, which I learned that it was credit of $400.00 + on the moorage slip. Who is legally intitled to that money? Is there a WA State Code to cover legal issue.
I, since, left the marina but need to return the key....I do owe a final balance of $1,500.00 before I receive boat title.

Thank you, SEA
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

There is no RCW on this issue. The issue is a matter of contract. The contract of lease with the deposit was with the previous owner of the boat, who paid the deposit. Thus, any refund of that deposit has to go to the party that the Marina contracted with. Thus, the previous owner who leased the slip would be entitled to the deposit unless he signs it over in writing to you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.