How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok, so I was teken to collections by an old apt complex. They

Resolved Question:

Ok, so I was teken to collections by an old apt complex. They are stating that I never paid them after I broke my lease with them. The kicker is I did pay them. Over a month ago I faxed my bank statments to the collections agnecy showing that I did indeed pay the apt complex. They said that they would have to do an investigation and if it turns out that the info I gave them is correct the collections would be removed from my credit. This was over a month ago and now I am trying to get a hous through a home builder company, and they are saying that I have been approved for the loan, but they are not going to start building until the collections is removed or is showing a zero balance. Right now I feel like that I have done nothing worng and now I am being penalised for doing nothing wrong. The collections agnecy said that I have to wait until the apt complex says it's ok to close the collections and remove it from my credit report, but I feel like the apt complex is dragging their feet. I don't know what to do, and I don't know what I can do. Is there anything I can do to apply some pressure? What if the apt complex doesn't respond to the collections agnecy. FYI, the collections agnecy is IQ Data.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

You do have a legal remedy here. First, you need to write a dispute to the credit reporting agencies regarding the asserted debt on your credit report. This may be done by sending a letter (form at: to the following addresses by certified mail:


Dispute Department
P.O. Box 9701
Allen, TX 75013

Consumer Solutions
P.O. Box 2000

Next, you have the right to sue the apartment complex for "negligent damage to credit" and for a "declaratory judgment". The "negligent damage to credit" claim concerns the monetary damage you have incurred because of their failure to accurately report that you have paid your bill. This would give you money damages for the delay in building that you are going through now.

The "declaratory judgment" action would allow you to have the court declare in an order that you do not owe any more money to the apartment complex. This declaration can then be shown to the builders and any future lenders.

Finally, you should send a certified letter to IQ Data declaring your formal dispute of the account and providing them with evidence that you have paid the overdue amount in full. Demand that they immediately halt all their collection efforts, as required under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.