Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

Dealing with a company (actually) various companies that is

Dealing with a company (actually) various companies that is a SCAM. I was wondering if you can advise on what to do. Below is a letter that has been sent to the company:

To Whom It May Concern: After talking with my husband, going through everything that I owe monthly to start this business I am closing business and, as my husband says…this cash cow has done dried up. With what I will owe on a monthly basis supposedly starting this month I owe over $250.00 per month and I haven’t even gotten started yet. This all came to a head when money was taken out of our credit card after I was told that a company would carry $2,600.00. I was checking out the credit card and there was the $2,600.00 that I wasn’t supposed to owe until AFTER I started making money. I/We will NOT deal any longer with a company that lies and takes money off of the cards without letting us know. I signed the paperwork but I was told that nothing would come off until after I started making money. This has been a VERY EXPENSIVE LESSON LEARNED…it’s not worth losing more money and put money out that I/we can’t afford. Because of this $2,600.00 withdrawal your businesses have now put us in a mess with folks that pull money out of the cards for our regular monthly bills. This company wasn’t even the company that I had contacted via email, but I got a call from this company and my nightmare began. I’m not even sure how you got our number, but looking at some of the sites that I found tonight I’m not the only one this has happened to. This company takes advantage of people. We told you we don’t have the money to put out when I was actually working to help my husband to retire in a year. Well, instead of being able to retire, he will have to work for the next 4-5 years to make up the money I’ve lost on this. It’s really bad when you take advantage of a disabled veteran, but I will make sure that the company will be turned over to the VA to keep other veterans from getting scammed. I wish I would have seen all the reports online through various sites that have named this whole company as being a SCAM. I’ve not even been able to contact the guy that’s office originally contacted me to get this process (nightmare) started. I will be asking that we be able to recoup some of the money already spent since I won’t be using ALL the money that was put out for certain processes. I let you talk me into staying with you the last time I pulled out, but not this time so don’t bother. NO MONEY IS TO BE PULLED FROM ANY OF OUR ACCOUNTS THAT YOU HAVE ON FILE FOR US. If anything is pulled out I will have our attorney contact the companies affiliated with this “WORK AT HOME” rip off. I will also contact the State Attorney Generals’ offices in the states that all your companies are located in.
It’s really sad in this economy that we have people that only care about their own pockets and more than willing to screw everyone else in this country that tries to figure out ways to make a living. I sure wish I had known about http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/search/The+Coaching+Department website before I got involved in these rip off companies. (They go by various names, but the Coaching Department is one of them. If you go into the link above you’ll see) I know it’s my fault for continuing with them, but I/we had gotten so far in debt I kept thinking (or wanted to think) they were legitimate and had my best interest at heart…should of known something wasn’t copasetic since they contacted me without me asking for someone to call. I thought I was being contacted by the Profit Web System, which is the company I found on my facebook site and purchased a couple of ebooks about working from home and that’s the company that had my personal information to mail the books. The company that contacted me was ecommerce, Sean Baldwin. He told us (my husband was on the telephone, also) that to get started we needed to come up with $8,895.00. We had just gotten a credit card paid off so had some on the card to pay for it. I asked if this was all we’d have to pay for the business, we were assured there would be no more money to come out. He told us that we would be contacted by companies and it was our choice to deal with them or to find another company. We figured these companies worked with ecommerce so they knew more about this type of business and I wouldn’t even know where to start…we used their companies (The members learning center; the coaching department BranXXXXX XXXXX, coaching department, sales department, My Supplier Source, Alec Eskander, Daeus. Financial, and I know there are others, but can’t think of them off the top of my head). My reason to do the “Work from Home” was to try to help bring in money so my husband could retire next year…due to this ecommerce catastrophe he will now have to work another 4 – 5 years. My best intentions sure didn’t go very well. I did re-read some of these so called legal documents that stated...
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. If I have not Answered your question, please let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

I am so sorry to hear that yet more unsuspecting, hardworking individuals have been scammed out of their hard-earned money.

You were wise to file a formal Complaint with the Washington State Attorney General's Office and the Attorney General's Office In the State where these scammers have their business.

The Better Business Bureau does not have the power or the authority to investigate or prosecute these scam companies. The Better Business Bureau is a repository for Complaints so that anyone who is thinking of doing business with any particular company, can call the Better Business Bureau and ask if any complaints have been filed against that particular company.

The agency which is the most powerful in getting full refunds for people like yourselves is the Federal Trade Commission. They are the Federal consumer's watchdog and they have the additional powers of investigation, prosecution, and conviction of the individuals behind these scam operations. You can file a formal Complaint online at their Official website - www.ftc.gov

The FTC has very strict rules about false and misleading advertising, companies which prey on the unwary who can least afford to lose money by selling them "Make money from home" schemes, "Get rich quick" schemes, and similar scams, and the FTC takes each investigation and prosecution very seriously. They have successfully obtained full refunds for consumers like you and your husband.

One more step you can take is to call the credit card companies which you gave to these scammers and ask to speak to the "Fraud Department" (Not "Fee Disputes"). Tell them that these are scams and that you have reported them to the FTC already. Ask that they remove the charges from your credit cards, cancel those accounts and issue you new credit card account numbers so that they cannot put back the charges that the credit card companies' Fraud Department removed. The credit card companies will send you forms to fill out and return to them and they should credit your accounts with the money that these scammers charged to your accounts,

I wish you the best of luck,

____________________________________________________________________

If I have not Answered your question completely, please use the "Reply" button to let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. Although I filed with the Attorney Generals offices I have been told there really isn't much they can do because of the business being in one state and me being in another. I will, however, contact the FTC. I'm really hoping they can help as we've lost so much money and instead of me helping with finances I put us deeper in debt.

Again thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Fran

Hi, Fran,

Actually, there is quite a bit that the Washington State Attorney General can do. The Offices of the Attorneys General of the other States all work together. Their most recent effort, which is still ongoing, is the many class actions they filed together, on behalf of, and for the benefit of their respective residents against different Mortgage Lenders, including Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase Mortgage, just to name a few. They very often collaborate and cooperate in their efforts to rescue their citizens from different types of fraud, from scammers like the individuals and companies you encountered, to predatory Mortgage lenders, to unethical and deceptive business practices engaged in by member companies of every conceivable industry.

You should also file a formal Complaint with the State Attorney General's Office of the State in which these companies have Offices and you may also want to include on your list of government agencies to notify, the Department of State of these States also because these companies have to file Articles of Incorporation in their home State in order to do business in the form of a corporation and they also must file registrations in the other States in order to be able to do business in those States. So, you can see how and why the Departments of State of the various States would also be very interested in all information on companies which are doing business within their borders, but are really scamming their citizens out of their hard-earned money.

You should contact the Federal Trade Commission as soon as possible to file a formal Complaint. Here is the exact page for filing a formal Complaint online,

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en

In order to give you a little more insight into the inner workings of the Federal Trade Commission, I am reprinting below, a recent statement made by the Federal Trade Commission's Division of Marketing Practices,

"The Division of Marketing Practices responds to ever-evolving problems of consumer fraud in the marketplace. The Division enforces the FTC Act and several other Federal consumer protection laws by filing FTC actions in federal district court for immediate and permanent orders to stop scams; prevent fraudsters from perpetrating scams in the future, freeze their assets; and get compensation for scam victims.

Enforcement Priorities

The Division's enforcement priorities include:

• shutting down high-tech Internet and telephone scams that bilk consumers out of hundreds of millions of dollars a year
  • ending deceptive telemarketing or direct mail marketing schemes that use false and misleading information to take consumers' money
  • stopping fraudulent business opportunity scams.;

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating so that I can receive credit for researching your question and furnishing you with Answers and information. It does not cost you anything additional, but a positive rating is necessary in order to receive credit and payment for my time and effort in assisting you,

________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA