How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerLady07 Your Own Question
LawyerLady07, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 299
Experience:  Willing to answer general questions pertaining to trials and its incidences.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawyerLady07 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What forms need to be filed in court to have a minors last

Customer Question

What forms need to be filed in court to have a minors last name changed in Brazoria Texas. Not a legal name change just a name change for school purposes etc. Once he is 18 he will legally change it himself. I had previously spoken with an attorney and was given details of basically getting an alias name. He could have his last name changed for school purposes etc, just not legally for credit, etc. But I cant remember which forms we were to use and to request this info again will cost me more money as my lawyer wont do free consults. Pretty crappy to not offer the info again as it was already offered last year. But anyway, still needing to get this done and the courts referred me to the lawinfo site, but the form isn't on there.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You can get the petition that needs to be filed for the name change of a minor along with a step by step process of how to proceed at the following website:

I think this should provide you all you need, but if any questions come up as you work through this, please let me know and I'll help you with those.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI, that site does not help. That is for a legal name change and both parents agreeing on the name change.


His father is nonexistent and has been for 15 years. He cant legally have his name changed until he is 18 on his own. Therefore we were advised we can still change it for school purposes etc but it wont be legal, it will be as an alias. Unfortunatly I cant find the form for this. The site you gave me even says if both parents don't agree than that form cant be used, but a name change can still be done just not with that form.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for following up and clarifying...I'm sorry, I misunderstood your facts. I will opt out so another expert can help you with this issue as I'm not familiar with the form you are seeking.

In order not to slow the process of another expert picking this up and helping you, please do not rate or reply to this post at this point; wait until another expert as addressed your question and provided you a satisfactory answer.
Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon!

I hope I can be of assistance to you with your legal inquiry. After doing a little research, I believe you may have been misinformed last year about not needing a legal name change. However, I think you can still accomplish a name change without the consent of both parents.

According to Texas statute, a child enrolling in school has to use his legal last name upon enrollment. See below:

Sec. 25.0021. USE OF LEGAL SURNAME. In each public school a student must be identified by the student's legal surname as that name appears:
(1) on the student's birth certificate or other document suitable as proof of the student's identity; or
(2) in a court order changing the student's name.

According to the Texas Education Agency, "the only way to identify a student by a different name would be to have his name legally changed."

That being said, I believe I have located the forms you will need in order to apply for a legal name change for the child with only one parent as the petitioner. This link should take you to the form. The form leaves room for 2 children's names. If you only need 1, then delete or white out the lines indicated for child 2.

Here's the link:

I hope this fully answers your question. Feel free to reply to this answer if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These forms look more inline to what I am needing, but these are for Collin County. Do you know the form # or how I can access the Brazoria County forms?

Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 3 years ago.
Despite the fact that these forms are specifically prepared for Collin county, the template cites the relevant state statutes and documentation needed. You can use these forms as your template; just replace the "Collin county" space with your county.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You. In reading all of the forms from the link, it still looks as if these forms are for both parents being involved, one being notified and the other being present. We don't have the fathers information or a way of notifying. I will see if we can still use this type of form in the courts this week and will get back to you on if this helped.


Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 3 years ago.
If you look at page 6 of the form, there is a place to check notice by posting where the other parent cannot be located. Posting means notice is posted on the courthouse.
Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 3 years ago.
I see that it's been several days since your last response. At the time, you were still not sure if you had located the correct forms. Were you able to verify that these were the forms you needed?

Again, please don't forget to rate my answer as "ok, good or excellent."

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.