LawyerLady07
LawyerLady07, Attorney
Experience:  Willing to answer general questions pertaining to trials and its incidences.
69627190

What forms need to be filed in court to have a minors last

Customer Question

What forms need to be filed in court to have a minors last name changed in Brazoria Texas. Not a legal name change just a name change for school purposes etc. Once he is 18 he will legally change it himself. I had previously spoken with an attorney and was given details of basically getting an alias name. He could have his last name changed for school purposes etc, just not legally for credit, etc. But I cant remember which forms we were to use and to request this info again will cost me more money as my lawyer wont do free consults. Pretty crappy to not offer the info again as it was already offered last year. But anyway, still needing to get this done and the courts referred me to the lawinfo site, but the form isn't on there.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You can get the petition that needs to be filed for the name change of a minor along with a step by step process of how to proceed at the following website: http://texaslawhelp.org/files/685E99A9-A3EB-6584-CA74-137E0474AE2C/attachments/B99BE52B-6C93-41F9-AFCB-043FE7C24E05/name_child_kit_final.pdf

I think this should provide you all you need, but if any questions come up as you work through this, please let me know and I'll help you with those.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI, that site does not help. That is for a legal name change and both parents agreeing on the name change.

His father is nonexistent and has been for 15 years. He cant legally have his name changed until he is 18 on his own. Therefore we were advised we can still change it for school purposes etc but it wont be legal, it will be as an alias. Unfortunatly I cant find the form for this. The site you gave me even says if both parents don't agree than that form cant be used, but a name change can still be done just not with that form.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up and clarifying...I'm sorry, I misunderstood your facts. I will opt out so another expert can help you with this issue as I'm not familiar with the form you are seeking.

In order not to slow the process of another expert picking this up and helping you, please do not rate or reply to this post at this point; wait until another expert as addressed your question and provided you a satisfactory answer.
Expert:  LawyerLady07 replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon!

I hope I can be of assistance to you with your legal inquiry. After doing a little research, I believe you may have been misinformed last year about not needing a legal name change. However, I think you can still accomplish a name change without the consent of both parents.

According to Texas statute, a child enrolling in school has to use his legal last name upon enrollment. See below:

Sec. 25.0021. USE OF LEGAL SURNAME. In each public school a student must be identified by the student's legal surname as that name appears:
(1) on the student's birth certificate or other document suitable as proof of the student's identity; or
(2) in a court order changing the student's name.

According to the Texas Education Agency, "the only way to identify a student by a different name would be to have his name legally changed."

That being said, I believe I have located the forms you will need in order to apply for a legal name change for the child with only one parent as the petitioner. This link should take you to the form. The form leaves room for 2 children's names. If you only need 1, then delete or white out the lines indicated for child 2.

Here's the link:
http://www.collincountytx.gov/law_library/forms/NameChangeMinorOneParent.pdf

I hope this fully answers your question. Feel free to reply to this answer if you need more information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

These forms look more inline to what I am needing, but these are for Collin County. Do you know the form # or how I can access the Brazoria County forms?

Despite the fact that these forms are specifically prepared for Collin county, the template cites the relevant state statutes and documentation needed. You can use these forms as your template; just replace the "Collin county" space with your county.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You. In reading all of the forms from the link, it still looks as if these forms are for both parents being involved, one being notified and the other being present. We don't have the fathers information or a way of notifying. I will see if we can still use this type of form in the courts this week and will get back to you on if this helped.

If you look at page 6 of the form, there is a place to check notice by posting where the other parent cannot be located. Posting means notice is posted on the courthouse.
I see that it's been several days since your last response. At the time, you were still not sure if you had located the correct forms. Were you able to verify that these were the forms you needed?

Again, please don't forget to rate my answer as "ok, good or excellent."