Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

As secretary/treasurer of a small landowners assn. I collected

As secretary/treasurer of a small landowners assn. I collected and banked the dues. When a new treasurer was elected I was asked to continue to collect the previous year's dues although I was no longer an officer. I did not do this as I thought it an improper request. What is the proper procedure and was I correct? Please answer both. Thank you.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. It doesn't matter that the group is unhappy with your decision. Once you are no longer the treasurer, you have no further obligation to fulfill any of the duties of the office of treasurer other than to turn over your books and records to the new treasurer. The new treasurer then has the obligation to provide the homeowners notice of the change in treasurers and any new address to send HOA dues.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one more thing. Would I be liable in any way if a problem arises concerning monies I've collected after no longer being an officer?

Thanks for following up and no worries...I'm here to help. You would not as long as you simply forward them to the new treasurer. Only if you didn't turn them over would you have any liabilities.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!