Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience

I was arrested for a warrant that was canceled two weeks prior.

I was arrested for a warrant that was canceled two weeks prior. I want the arrest taken off my record and also reimbursement for the towing of my vehicle and lost wages. Should I pursue legal representation, and if so, the name of a good lawyer in the Los Lunas NM area?

It is possible that you may have a claim for false arrest or imprisonment. It is a good idea to talk to an attorney in your area to see if you have a case that is worth pursuing. Many civil lawyers will do an initial consultation for free, evaluating your case and giving you an idea of whether the possible outcome will justify the effort of pursuing a lawsuit. If you need help finding a civil attorney, you can use a directory like to find one in your area. You can call around to see which attorneys will do an initial meeting for free.

Part of a more in depth evaluation of the case will require investigation into why the warrant was served when it had been canceled and figuring out who is responsible. For example, if the officer who served the warrant was not aware that it had been canceled and it was still listed as open, you don't really have a case against the officer because he reasonably believed the warrant was active. However, the agency that dropped the ball in communicating that information could be liable for negligence. If, however, the officer should have known the warrant was canceled but served the warrant anyway, then he might be liable for false imprisonment. So it largely depends on the facts of the case and which party dropped the ball, so to speak.

It is a good idea if you want to pursue this to contact lawyers as soon as possible. When suing a government agency or employee, there are generally laws in place that require you to give notice of your claim within a certain time frame (usually 90 days-6 months) or you lose your right to make a claim.