LadyLawyer12
LadyLawyer12, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney with over 8 years experience in civil and criminal law

I am a grad student in an Occupational therapy program and

Customer Question

I am a grad student in an Occupational therapy program and have an anxiety disorder diagnosis most recently reoccurring last mont, but am stable now. I disclosed my disorder to my university's disability services to see if I need an accommodation for upcoming clinical setting. I am now worried about this because a friend told me that the FL board for Occupational therapy licensing may not license me with a mental illness diagnosis. So is this true? I should quit school if that is the case because I have one year left and am over 50,oooo in loans with a family and don't want to end up not being able to practice.
Expert:  LadyLawyer12 replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am the expert that will be helping you today. If you have any additional questions after reading my answer, please do not hesitate to let me know. I am here to help and sometime what I think may be a clear answer may be clear as mud to you.

First, I would like to congratulate you for pursuing a career in occupational therapy. I have reviewed the licensure requirements in the state of Florida. The main requirement is that the applicant is of good moral character which basically means no criminal record. The Florida Board does require a disclosure about certain medical conditions. I have listed those questions from the Personal History section below:

1. In the last five years, have you been admitted or referred to a hospital, facility or impaired practitioner program for treatment of a diagnosed mental disorder or impairment?
  2. During the last five years, have you been treated for or had a recurrence of a diagnosed mental disorder that has impaired your ability to practice occupational therapy within the past five years?

If you answer "yes" to either of these questions, then the Florida Board requires an additional written statement from you. In that statement, you have to detail the condition. You must also include prescriptions, treatment plans, letters from your treating physicians. This information will allow the board to determine if you medically fit for the position. In some cases, the Board may require an in person interview. It may also license you on a temporary basis or require that your practice is monitored for a period of time.

The short version of the answer is that the Board takes medical conditions on a case by case basis. The mere existence of an anxiety disorder will not preclude you from being an occupation therapist. The Board will review the facts and circumstances relevant to your case and make a decision based on your case.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clear as mud, sorry. So would i answer yes to those questions? I had not seeny psychiatrist for anxiety in 6 years before last month when she diagnosed me again with anxiety/insomnia...i referred myself this time after tackling grad school homeschooling kids and health scare woth hubby took toll on me. She prescribed me nortriptyline for sleep but i dodnt take and she told me to come back prn bc i decided to make lifestyle modifications as alternative. So am i impaired and have to mark yes to disclose to board?..confused about "impaired"

In the last six years, have you been hospitalized for insomnia? Also, did your recent anxiety attack prevent you from participating in your occupational therapy studies?

If the answer to both is no, then you are not impaired. If you have another recurrence of anxiety, you may need to reevaluate your answer. However, one recurrence in 6 years when you are trying to deal with life changing issues such as illness is not an impairment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is it ok to seek accomodations from the university disability services or will this make me impaired in my studies?
If you need accommodations, you should seek them. The fact that you have an anxiety disorder does not make you impaired. Even if you have a recurrence and have to disclose it, the board will evaluate all the information related to your case. The Board will look at the amount of time that has lapsed between recurrences as well as your treatment plan.
LadyLawyer12, Lawyer
Experience: Practicing attorney with over 8 years experience in civil and criminal law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ladylawyer and i will be signing up for my clinicals and moving forward...if i run into any bumps down the way i hope i run into someone as professional yet concerned as you...grad schoil is a big investment for me and family and wouldnt want to do it all for nothing..thanx!
I'm glad I could be assistance. If you need anything else, please request me and I would be happy to assist you again.

Please do not forget to rate my answer so that I get paid for my services. Good luck with grad school! :-)
Hello. Thank you again for using Just Answer!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know, Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes your answer helped clarify so i m understandong that I can mark no to the licensing questions about mental disorders when it comes that time and everything remains as is currently with nofurther problems with the condition bc i have never been hospitalized or out of school thus not impaired

Great. Thanks again!