Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I recently received notification of a $292 fine owed in Dallas,Texas

I recently received notification of a $292 fine owed in Dallas,Texas for a September 29, 2006 infraction regarding an unpaid DART Light Rail fare. To the best of my recollection, all trips taken on the DART system were paid for prior to boarding. I'm sure of this fact because my trip started on a bus where the day pass was issued and I would not have been able to board the bus to get to the train had I not paid. I was told that the only way i could enter a not guilty plea was to appear in court in Richardson, Texas, but i have since moved to Connecticut. I am also in the process of filing an inquiry to the traffic department in the Dallas Justice of the Peace to receive a copy of the citation, as i have no knowledge of ever receiving a ticket. I would also like to know if there is a statute of limitation on a "fare evasion" charge. Please advise and thank you in advance for your assistance, respectfully, XXXXX
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, there is no statute of limitation when it comes to the citation for fare evasion, as it turns from an administrative violation (similar to a traffic violation) to a criminal Class C misdemeanor charge if not paid within 30 days from the issuance of the citation.

Also, if such citation remains unanswered and unpaid within 30 days, an arrest warrant will be issued against the alleged violator and there is no statute of limitation once the criminal charge is filed and an arrest warrant is issues.

Class C misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

If you were never issued such citation, you can request a copy of the citation, but unfortunately, unless you can prove by clear evidence that this is some type of clerical mistake, you would either have to appear in court to contest this citation or to hire a local Texas Criminal Defense attorney to help you resolve this issue.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions!