How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Loren Your Own Question

Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23563
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a military pension and military disability pay be used

Customer Question

Can a military pension and military disability pay be used to reduce the surviving spouse's elective share (military retiree) of his decedent wife's augmented estate, where much of the decedent wife's property have been given to others?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Which state?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Hawaii's Revised Uniform Probate Code says that a surviving spouse has the right to elect (choose) from the "augmented estate" of the deceased spouse. The maximum amount of the election is a percentage of the augmented estate. The percentage for a marriage of 15 years or more is 50 percent, with lesser percentage for shorter marriages.

The augmented estate includes property in the decedent's probate estate, property in decedent's revocable trust, life insurance proceeds of a policy owned by decedent, property passing to the surviving spouse, the decedent's fractional interest in joint property not passing to the surviving spouse, property given away within two years of death (with some exceptions). If the elective share is more than what the surviving spouse is otherwise receiving, the spouse can make the election. The electing spouse is entitled to recover against property included in the augmented estate.

The elective share rights are also preserved for spouses who are disabled. In that case, a legal guardian, would exercise the rights.

The Hawaii statute defining an augmented estate is fairly inclusive. Therefore, it would seem to include non probate transfers:

"Subject to section 560:2-208, the value of the augmented estate, to the extent provided in sections 560:2-204, 560:2-205, 560:2-206, and 560:2-207, consists of the sum of the values of all property, whether real or personal; movable or immovable, tangible or intangible, wherever situated, that constitute the decedent's net probate estate, the decedent's non probate transfers to others, the decedent's non probate transfers to the surviving spouse or reciprocal beneficiary, and the surviving spouse's or reciprocal beneficiary's property and non probate transfers to others. [L 1996, c 288, pt of §1; am L 1997, c 383, §19]"

So, while it would not reduce an elective share, it may make the augmented estate a more attractive choice.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already know the framework for the composition of the augmented estate, i.e. what properties are included in what sections of the Hawaii probate law. My question has not been answered as it may be a case of first impression not only in Hawaii but perhaps throughout the entire US.


The issue is whether under HRS §560-209, the retired military surviving spouse' s military pension and disability pay will be applied first, if at all, so as to reduce that retired military surviving spouse's entitlement to his elective share. In other words, is the military pension a "public pension" and his disability pay a "disability compensation" under HRS §560:208(b)(2)? In my opinion, I don't believe they are encompassed in those definitions.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification.

I have taken a close look at the statute and even plugged it into a case search and it does appear to be something which has not been litigated.

However, I think I would respectfully disagree with your conclusion. I base my conclusion on the language used in 208(b)(2). The fact that they state public pensions and private pensions, without any exception noted, would seem to indicate that the intent was to be all-inclusive. The same with disability compensation. There is nothing excepted in the statute so all disability compensation should be included.

It is an interesting question.

I do not know if I answered it for you, but that is my analysis.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I had surmised, the issue of whether military pensions and military disability pay has not been litigated anywhere in the context of the composition of the augmented estate.


To be fair to you, military "pensions" are treated differently from other "public pensions", and in some cases are not treated as "pensions" per se.

Moreover, there are cases which state the federal pre-emption doctrine trumps state laws when military pensions and disability compensation are involved.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
It is possible.

I will opt out since 8 am not sure of the answer and perhaps another Professional would have a more conclusive response.

There is no need to respond as it will delay another Professional from assisting you.

Thank you.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.