Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My business uses walkie talkie for staff to communicate on

My business uses walkie talkie for staff to communicate on a shift. The supervisor signs out the walkie talkies to each worker and must sign them back in. If a worker leaves the job with the walkie talkie and it becomes lost then the supervisor is to be
charged the $200 to replace the walkie talkie. Can I be held financially responsible as a supervisor for a lost item I did not have in my possession at the time?
Yes. The business has the right to hold supervisors responsible for the activities of employees under their supervision in whatever manner it sees fit. So even if a supervisor did not have personal possession of a walkie talkie at the time it was lost, the supervisor can be held responsible for the actions of employee who lost the walkie talkie. It is the prerogative of the business to set the duties and responsibilities of its supervisors. And holding supervisors financially responsible for lost equipment is well within the business' discretion.