How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 115441
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Soninlaw says he has power of attorney to make all health and

This answer was rated:

Soninlaw says he has power of attorney to make all health and financial decisions.
He used this to take all my posessions and store them without my knowledge or
consent while I was hospitalized. Also locked me out of our home and kept my car.
How can I make him show me the power of attorney he used to do this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you never signed a PoA for him, then the only way he could get it would be through going to the local court. Thus, you would check in the local court if he refuses to show you. If you cannot find anything in court and you did not grant him a PoA, you need to file a police report for theft against him and also you can sue him for him taking your property without your consent.

If you did grant him the PoA (I am presuming from what you said you did not give him the PoA) you can rescind any PoA you granted in writing. If he has a court PoA, you have to sue in court to revoke the PoA. If he has no PoA at all, then you need to sue in court on top of making the police report for theft against him.

If you file a police report he will have to produce the actual PoA as proof and you can see how it was granted and know how to proceed.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have recovered possesions. The cost was $182 x 17 months storage.

I was not well enough to get them during the 27 months. My possessions

would not have been in storage if son in law had not taken them. Has statute of limitations expired? and can I get my $4999 costs back from

son in law?

Thank you for your response and additional information.

No, the statute of limitations has not expired yet as you have 3 years to sue for damages or conversions of personal property or any property type claim.

In your suit you can force him to produce the alleged PoA he has that he acted under.
Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you