Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Last month I kited from one to another several times. My bank

Last month I kited from one to another several times. My bank noticed and said they were investigating suspicious activity and put holds on a few checks. This week they investigated more And will put holds on all my future checks. They have all their money and said they would not close the account. will I likely be prosecuted? Wouldn't they close the account if it was that bad
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Generally, if they have received their money they will not refer the case to the DA unless it happens again. Kiting checks is illegal under the state's bad check law or issuing worthless check laws and usually the banks do not want to be bothered going to court and also getting bad publicity by going through a criminal trial if they do not have to do so.

It is more likely than not, although no attorney can guarantee they will not, that the bank will not pursue charges if they have gotten their money back and you do not have any future violations.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have also had nsf fees but non have been returned. They just said they are monitoring account activity. The main office told my branch to place holds. If they were going to prosecute would the close the account? How soon would they turn it over to the da

I understand what you said above that its unlikely but in cases where they do it the account closed. You also said if I don't do it again. obviously i'm not going to but with long holds I couldn't even if I wanted too just saying I don't know that they can tests I won't do it again.

Thank you for your response.

You will have to pay those fees of course. Typically, they will not file charges with everything paid back to them and usually they will file charges within 30 days of their informing you of the matter. Generally they would indeed close the account if they were going to pursue you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this did happen 30 days again and they first contacted my bank a week ago and have continued to investigate it and went from placing holds on some checks to all checks. They could still file correct because it hasn't been 30 days

They could still file, yes, but again if you pay everything due they likely will not.