Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

My mother-in-law recently left the employment of 7-11 after

Customer Question

My mother-in-law recently left the employment of 7-11 after having been the victim of a phone scam while working. The franchisee did not have any form of insurance to protect his store from events like that and he chose not to make a police report or notify the corporate offices. Instead, he told her that she had to pay him back - something that she had been told she did not legally have to do by various people, several of which are officers of the law. She and her employer had reached a verbal agreement while in the presence of a third party regarding paying the amount (nearly $3000) as a courtesy to him. At the time, he told her that he would not take her entire check because he knew that she could not afford it. He then reneged on that and kept the whole of her next paycheck. Due to that, she left his employment.

My questions are: Can he legally do any of that? And if not, what legal recourses are available to my mother-in-law?
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Your mother in law is not responsible for the reimbursement of the loss to her employer caused by the criminal acts of a third party.

Nor is the employer allowed to deduct one cent from her check for that loss.

Your MIL should file a wage claim with the Illinois Department of Labor. The ex employer, if guilty of a violation, could be liable for the wages, attorney fees and punitive damages.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information. I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you. I am here for you.
Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.
If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.
Thank you.

JudgeLaw

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

My MIL would like me to ask you if her ex-employer can withhold any of the wages due to her for the additional six days she has worked but have not come up as part of a pay period?

She also thanks you for your time and says that your help is greatly appreciated. She will follow your suggestion of calling IDOL tomorrow.

I am curious, however, if IDOL tells her that there is nothing they can do, are there any recourses available to her other than a civil suit?

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me. I apologize for the delay. I had to step away briefly.

She is due her next paycheck for the new pay period whenever that check would have normally been released on the next regular payday.

I do think she will get relief from the wage complaint, but if not she could file a civil suit or a complaint with the federal DOL for unpaid wages.

I hope this clarifies the answer.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience representing clients.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It does. Thank you very much for your time. We all appreciate your help.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Joe, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.