How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28185
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother-in-law recently left the employment of 7-11 after

This answer was rated:

My mother-in-law recently left the employment of 7-11 after having been the victim of a phone scam while working. The franchisee did not have any form of insurance to protect his store from events like that and he chose not to make a police report or notify the corporate offices. Instead, he told her that she had to pay him back - something that she had been told she did not legally have to do by various people, several of which are officers of the law. She and her employer had reached a verbal agreement while in the presence of a third party regarding paying the amount (nearly $3000) as a courtesy to him. At the time, he told her that he would not take her entire check because he knew that she could not afford it. He then reneged on that and kept the whole of her next paycheck. Due to that, she left his employment.

My questions are: Can he legally do any of that? And if not, what legal recourses are available to my mother-in-law?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Your mother in law is not responsible for the reimbursement of the loss to her employer caused by the criminal acts of a third party.

Nor is the employer allowed to deduct one cent from her check for that loss.

Your MIL should file a wage claim with the Illinois Department of Labor. The ex employer, if guilty of a violation, could be liable for the wages, attorney fees and punitive damages.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information. I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you. I am here for you.
Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.
If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.
Thank you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My MIL would like me to ask you if her ex-employer can withhold any of the wages due to her for the additional six days she has worked but have not come up as part of a pay period?


She also thanks you for your time and says that your help is greatly appreciated. She will follow your suggestion of calling IDOL tomorrow.


I am curious, however, if IDOL tells her that there is nothing they can do, are there any recourses available to her other than a civil suit?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me. I apologize for the delay. I had to step away briefly.

She is due her next paycheck for the new pay period whenever that check would have normally been released on the next regular payday.

I do think she will get relief from the wage complaint, but if not she could file a civil suit or a complaint with the federal DOL for unpaid wages.

I hope this clarifies the answer.

Thank you.

Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28185
Experience: 30 years experience representing clients.
Loren and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does. Thank you very much for your time. We all appreciate your help.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Joe, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.