How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I hired an attorney in PA to help with the building and

This answer was rated:

Hi. I hired an attorney in PA to help with the building and purchase of a new home. When we hired him we gave a retainer of $1500. He helped in the beginning stages, but when we hit a snag with the start of construction he told me he would investigate what out options were and then never called back. 2 months later after numerous attempt to call him we sent him a letter (not certified :() to fire him. At that time we asked for a statement of billable hours (he has never sent us one), a copy of our file, and the return of unearned retainer (there is no way he went through $1500 in making a few phone calls). Weeks have past, I have tried to contact him to find out when we should receive these items, and still I have heard nothing. We have since hired a new attorney who would like the info in the file. What can I do?

Thank you for your question.

You have a right to your file and a right to the return of any unused portion of your fees. You likely have a right to the entire amount given to the attorney since he has refused to communicate to you as is his duty under the law.

You need to file a complaint on the following page:

The Discipline Committee will force the attorney to turn over the file and to return the money. Your attorney that you have now hired should also take action in trying to contact the old attorney to obtain the file.

In the end, if the old attorney won't respond, it will require a court order which the Disciplinary Committee will obtain on your behalf.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you. When I went to file the complaint I learned that as of last week (7/15) he was placed on administrative suspension. Is there any further action that I can take now that it is clear he took my retainer and was then suspended?

So they have already suspended him because of a complaint you filed?

Have you contacted the Disciplinary Committee to ask if they will pursue getting restitution for you through an order?

Outside of this, the only thing you can do is sue him directly for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I have never filed anything against him. When I went to file it was when I noticed that he was placed on "adminstrative suspension" last week. From what I can gather it appears to be because he did not pay his fees to the state to keep his license. However, seeing as he could not repersent us now even if he wanted- can we request the whole retainer back since he clearly knew this was coming and let us retain him anyway?

Well, if you did not file the complaint already, you need to go ahead and do that. The State can revoke his license and issue penalty orders against him.

In regard to whether you will be entitled to your entire fee back, this will likely depend on the specific circumstances (i.e., if he actually did any work). I would think that you have a very good chance at getting it all back.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 14 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions