Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

been succsfully sued in absenteeism now orderd to appear as

been succsfully sued in absenteeism now orderd to appear as to assets..do I need a lawyer present ,can they arrest me, do I need any proof of assets or lack of same
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If you are found liable via default judgment, you DO NOT need an attorney present but it is most suggested that you do have one so that the attorney may be able to help negotiate a viable payment plan. You would need an attorney present if this judgment was against a corporation or business entity rather than you personally because corporations have to have someone who is a licensed attorney represent them.

The courts cannot arrest you in a civil case, they could only possibly arrest you contempt of court, that is, intentionally ignoring the courts orders or disrespecting the judge or the judicial process. It would be in your best interest to bring evidence of lack of assets since that may make the process easier to negotiate through, but you would only need to bring such information if the courts expressly sent you a subpoena for your records and demanded that you bring them with you.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have no idea who sued me how do I find out can't afford a lawyer

Thank you for your follow-up.

How did you find out about the hearing? There are two ways to know who sued you--first, you can go to court and in court find out who the plaintiff against you was. The other option is to contact the courthouse directly where the default judgment was entered--you can speak to the clerk and ask the party names in your cause of action.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

soc sec is my only income can that be attached i'm 65 have no property or assets

Thank you for your follow-up.

A private debt (not a government tax, restitution, student loan, or child support) cannot be attached or pursued against you via social security benefits. Those benefits are exempt from most types of judgments except those I listed above.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about a car or other household goods

Thank you for your follow-up.

Other assets, such as a home, car, bank accounts, or a pension account may be garnishable and pursued as a means of covering this debt.

I am sorry.