How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question

P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30760
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Florida abandoned auto possession: A Florida condo owner

Customer Question

Florida abandoned auto possession:
A Florida condo owner dies leaving both his estate and his unit underwater and an auto in the building in his name which has some equity.
The owner dies while owning substantial funds to the Condo Ass'n.
The designated heirs refuse the inheritance (after improperly emptying the condo of all moveable objects of value) and advise the Condo that they have no interest in the auto.
It is a given that the condo has the right to have the auto towed.
The Ass'n manager, without asking anybody above him, takes it upon himself to call a towing company that tows the car, keeps it for the statutory time (30 days?) and then sell sit for an unjust enrichment of some $7000.00
The Ass'n manager claims only the towing company has the lawful right to 'realize' any profit on the equity of the car, and that therefore he did nothing wrong.
Since the only equity belonging to the deceased was the car, would it not have been lawful to either
1.leave the car in place till rightful title to the car would have been achieved by the ass'n through foreclosing on the unit (subject to the Mortgage) and then seizing the car on a judgment, or
2. work out a suitable arrangement with a towing company to allow the equity (after towing costs) to accrue to the Ass'n?
3. Can anything be done to recover the equity from the towing company on the basis of unjust enrichment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The problem the condo association has here is that to recover anything from the estate, they need to go to probate

Only the probate court will be able to award a property interest in the deceased personal property

What you describe, the association clearly had the ability to recover from the estate of the deceased. If the deceased owed money to the association, the association, as a legal entity, could file suit in probate court to recover from the estate of the deceased.

OR...had the heirs of the deceased opened probate the association could have filed a claim with the probate court.

So what can the association do now?

They can open probate (as a creditor) and ask that the deceased's estate be probated. This would allow, for example, the chance to recover the property removed from the condo, and to recover the money recovered at the auction of the vehicle (less the towing and storage charges)

There is a cost associated with the association will need to bear that cost. But if there are assets in the estate of the deceased? Then they can use probate to get to the assets to satisfy the debts to the association.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no probate opened. So any attempt to proceed would require paying both the lawyer s and perhaps an additional sum for the appointment of an ad litem representative for the estate.

You have said the recovery of any excess funds over the cost of towing and storage would be an estate asset. If that is correct it may be worthwhile. Did I read you right?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
That is need to open probate to pursue this. And it may be the costs outweigh the potential benefit

And yes..if there is money in the estate (including money from the sale of the vehicle and the property taken by the relatives) then it may be worth hiring a lawyer to pursue this. It really will come down to how much money is in the estate.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.