Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have been trying to get a medical insurance claim resolved

I have been trying to get a medical insurance claim resolved for a very long time. The insurance company says that there was a billing code error in how the claim was filed, so I asked the medical provider to rebill. Now the insurance company is saying that the time period for coverage of the services has expired and they aren't going to pay, and the account is in collections. Do I have any recourse with either entity? Can an account be taken out of collections once it is assigned? The amount is for more than $24,000, more than I will ever be able to pay. Help!
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, have you ever contacted an attorney to send them a demand letter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have not.

Thank you for your follow-up, Carol.

Than you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. In this situation retaining counsel would be most wise. Insurance companies, for many reasons, do not always know what is in their own policies, and do not always bother to read your claims and demands for an appeal. But when they receive a letter from an attorney on attorney letterhead alleging 'bad faith' and 'breach of contract', their legal department stands up and takes notice. Such letter are all too unfortunately common but they also happen to be quite effective. This is a good investment (I speak from experience as I have written quite a few such letters and so far none have come back rejecting a claim), and one that would very likely reinstate this claim for you.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate your advice. What is the best way to find a reputable attorney?

Thank you for your follow-up To obtain competent counsel you may want to consider browsing the listings at and There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise. It is also a good mean of reviewing past client testimonials and peer driven ratings. These sites are not ones where attorneys pay to be on, so ratings may not always be positive which helps you to make a legitimate decision for your own needs.

Good luck.