Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I recently moved and used Blocker Storage for one month to

I recently moved and used Blocker Storage for one month to store belongings until home was ready. Upon delivery of stored items I was missing my mirrored jewelry armoire with over $10,000 in jewelry. After multiple calls Blocker still was unable to find my armoire and sent me $30.00 as an adjustment. This is unacceptable. What do I do next?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Since they will not pay you for your loss voluntarily, you'll have to file suit against them. That will give you the leverage and collection options you seek. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet you in court and answer questions under oath about their assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any property owned by the storage company to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your response, however, how do I sue this company? I am 70 years old and getting ready to retire. What is the cost?

You're's my pleasure to help. Since the small claims court limit in Florida is $5,000, you'll have to file this suit in a state district court. You will want to engage an attorney for this, but it's a very simply case so it should not be expensive and you can ask the court to award you legal fees as the prevailing party. You do not need an experienced lawyer for this; rather, you can use a lawyer 1-2 years out of school to avoid the high billing rates of more experienced lawyers. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks again......this is very upsetting and scary for me, but will try to do what you suggested

You're very welcome.....I will definitely keep you in my prayers! Have a great day!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: