Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I didnt claim some employment earnings while I was unemployed,

I didn't claim some employment earnings while I was unemployed, I am now disabled and the amount has collected quite a bit of interest. Can we arbitrate a lower amount owed due to interest that has accumulated and my disability. Lois Storey
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear that you committed unemployment fraud and failed to report earnings to unemployment while you were collecting benefits. YES, the director of unemployment has the authority to waive interest and penalties on these types of claims and you can indeed negotiate with the unemployment office to settle for less on these claims. The director also has the power to waive the claim based on significant financial hardship, which is also what you are claiming.

To do this, you need to contact their office and you need to make an offer to settle. You need to explain that you have a significant financial hardship because of the disability and it does not appear you will be able to return to work anytime in the future. it can take several calls back and forth, but it is possible to negotiate a resolution to the reimbursement you owe them.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.