How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38802
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a debt to an old boyfriend, ($6K) that did not have anything

This answer was rated:

I had a debt to an old boyfriend, ($6K) that did not have anything legal written down.
I then listed him as a creditor in my bankruptcy. When we broke up, he told me I did not owe him the debt.

A year later I started making monthly payments on the debt (to be nice). It is down to around $4200.
He died in May. His new wife wants me to pay the debt to the estate.
I am listed in the Trust for $20K which got her mad.

Does the Bankruptcy shield me, or since I paid part of it, do I have to pay the remainder.

Also the Executor asked if I could supply the Bankruptcy information. Should I, or wait. The new wife was not listed in the Trust so she is contesting.

A debt discharged in bankruptcy and not reaffirmed as part of the bankruptcy action through the filing of a reaffirmation agreement with the bankruptcy court remains discharged. You cannot be forced to repay the remainder of the debt.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So my next part of the question is,,,should I send the Executor a copy of the Bankruptcy paperwork? I do not want to give more info than needed, and I do not want them to take the money from the 20K.


Do you see me making a mistake if I send a copy of the Bankruptcy discharge to the Executor, before he asks for it?

You don't need to send a copy of the paperwork. You can simply provide the name of the bankruptcy court and case number, and let the executor research the court file him/herself.

Hope this helps.