Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs

A friend of mine has just received a summons concerning an

A friend of mine has just received a summons concerning an old credit card bill. The actual balance is around $475, but with fees, interest etc. the bill collector wants 800-900, I forget which. We understand that he can make them an offer-- I've suggested he start around 350,and be willing to work up towards the 475-maybe 500. I don't know how amenable bill collectors are to that sort of bargaining.

He is actually penniless, living off the kindness of friends and family; he's been out of the country for several years, just returned here a few months ago, and plans/hopes to go back overseas later this year. He is afraid that a court judgment against him might impede his travel plans--- is that so?

What is/are your suggestion/s? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
He is afraid that a court judgment against him might impede his travel plans--- is that so?
.
No, this is not the case. This would be a civil judgment and would not have any effect on his international travel. Only criminal convictions can affect him entering and leaving the country.
.
If they are asking for $900, then I would agree that he should start around $300 to see if he can settle the case. If they actually pursue this further and actually take it to court, then the debt will only get higher because of attorney fees and court costs.
.
He can tell them that he is considering filing bankruptcy to wipe out this and some other debts and if he can't settle this. They know that they will get nothing if he actually filed bankruptcy so that can give him a little leverage in negotiating a settlement.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

This same friend (who is still in this country) has married a Dutch woman. She is considering coming to this country permanently. What will be her immigration status? Is she not automatically a US citizen by virtue of her marriage to a US citizen? Will she need a green card? Problem is, she is also indigent, and dependent on the Dutch social security system, which as I understand it, is much better than ours. But she may be employable if she comes here. Can you give any advice?

Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.
To be very honest with you, immigration law is one area that I have no real knowledge about. I don't want to give you incorrect information so I would suggest posting a question in the Immigration Law category because the guys over there are sharp and can get you a definite answer quickly..
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So could you somehow forward my question to the proper people? I seem to be having difficulties with this website....

Sure, I will notify JustAnswer's customer service dept to see if they can move the question over or assist with posting a new question in the Immigration law section...
.
.
Thanks