Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Legal Expert
19305272

can a minor own possessions?

can a minor own possessions?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

Yes, absolutely. It's very common for minors to own property, especially if they inherit the property. Sometimes it can cause some issues that require a guardianship over the minor's property (to allow someone authority to manage the property, make contracts regarding the property, etc.) but minors can certainly own property.

Customer:

This is in regard to a 14 year old who feels he may take everything that has been provided for him and remove it to another residence.

TMcJD :

Just because he uses property that has been provided for him doesn't mean he owns that property. If he had earned money through work, purchased property with his own money, inherited it, etc., then he would own it, but he would not generally be considered the owner of his bed, bedroom furniture, etc.

Customer:

Thank you very much for you response. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

TMcJD :

You're welcome. Thank you too. If you could leave me a positive rating, I would be very grateful. Experts on JustAnswer don't get credit for their work unless they receive a positive rating. Thanks and have a great night!