Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Can my fiance and I get married in Pennsylvania if neither

Can my fiance and I get married in Pennsylvania if neither one of us are residents of that state? I'm in the military stationed at Ft. Meade, MD and she is Colorado state resident. How fast could we get married?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Pennsylvania licensed professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.

In Pennsylvania marriage rules differ from county to county. In which county do you hope to get married in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure which county it is...we plan to get married in Gettysburg. I actually live in Maryland. Also, my fiance does not want to sign a prenuptial agreement. I am not good with that, but she's thrown a fit and threatened not to marry me. There is one more monkey wrench in it - she's pregnant - about six weeks along.

Thank you for your follow-up, William. Please let me respond to each issue you brought up.

Gettysburg is located in Adams County, Pennsylvania. You BOTH would need to appear between the hours of 8 am to 4 pm, appear within 60 days of the ceremony date. Here is the address below:

Adams County Courthouse
Clerk of Courts Office
117 Baltimore St., Rm. 103
Gettysburg, PA 17325
717.337.9806
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. / M - F
$60 cash or check.
Closed for holidays.

Further requirements are: Anyone wishing to marry in Pennsylvania must obtain a PA marriage license. Both applicants must appear together in person to complete the marriage license application. Applicants must have valid identification whichmay be a driver's license, military or Penn DOT photo ID. Birth certificates are required only when applicants have none of the above. All ID must be in english or accompanied by a certified english translation. Applicants must provide a social security number (federal and state mandates for U.S. citizens).

Being a resident is NOT a requirement.

You brought up other issues. Her pregnancy is a non-issue for marriage purposes. But the disagreement over a prenup may be a very serious precursor. If you both cannot agree, one way or another, it is likely not a good beginning to your potential life together. PA does not require a prenup, and I cannot suggest which opinion is better or stronger, but common ground is a necessity for long-term success.

Good luck.

William,

Thank you for your follow-up. In your other post you asked:
Thanks for your answer - I appreciate the confirmation. I do have another question - she has medical insurance, but it doesn't cover her being pregnant. She wants to get married basically because of the coverage she'll receive due to my military service. However, she is also making a lot of threats, basically saying that if I don't marry her, I'll have to pay for all of her medical costs. What are my financial obligations to her with regard to pregnancy-related medical costs.
If the child is hers, she can potentially seek partial compensation (as she herself is also required to cover her own expenses) from you once paternity is assured. But beyond that you have no financial obligations because at least so far there is no proof she is truly pregnant or that the child is legally yours. If you marry, then whomever is born automatically becomes your child, regardless of whether or not the child is biologically yours or not. When single paternity has to first be proven by blood test. This is not an accusation of your fiance, merely an explanation of how this works.

Good luck and if satisfied, please do not forget to positively rate my answers as otherwise I do not get credit for my work. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dimitry -

For the sake of argument, let's say the child is mine. My concern is the cost associated with the whole thing. I have a security clearance, and financial stability is a very important part of keeping that clearance. I can ill afford to lose my clearance, which could then force me out of the Army, which would then mean the loss of a retirement.

I'm willing to marry her, just for the sake of the medical coverage that she would receive from the military. We spoke about a prenuptial agreement, and she lost it - I'm afraid of her taking everything I have if I don't get one. It seems like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't - which really is the lesser of two evils?

Thanks -

Will

Will,

Glad to assist.

You posted:

I am not seeing how this would affect your clearance. As a potential father she could later pursue you for costs, and you could then directly create an agreement with the medical professionals to help pay for part of her expenses. But you are not required to cover them all--this is her child, same as yours, and expenses are shared and not borne by one person.

I cannot tell you what is the lesser of the two evils here as I am not your attorney. But purely going by what you are stating, it appears this person is not out primary for love but for protection and medical insurance (and later for support). That is typically not a healthy way to start a relationship. Using financial means to hold you is not a good long-term solution, and there is likewise an ability to pay for this without marriage, especially if you are not sure this person has your best interest at heart.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.