How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Your Own Question

John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3712
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a trustee/administrator of a 403B plan is making a wholesale

Resolved Question:

When a trustee/administrator of a 403B plan is making a wholesale change in availability of investment funds and from a single tier to a three tier structure of investments to be used by its participants, how is it required under its fiduciary obligations/responsibilties of that 403B retirement plan to notify participants, both current employees and retirees. Is a brouchure describing the changes including a schedule of information meetings one could attend and availability of on site councelors sent by regular mail one time sufficient or is a positve contact required; either registered mail, or return post card acknowledgement or follow-up phone call required? Both a legal and moral answer would be good.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. Under the Employee Retiement Income Security Act (ERISA) a plan administrator would be required to provide a material plan changes in writing. The method of furnishing this writing, according to the regulations, is supposed to be a "reasonably calculated to ensure actual receipt of the material by plan participants, beneficiaries and other specified individuals". The regulation further states "Material distributed through the mail may be sent by first, second, or third-class mail. However, distribution by second or third-class mail is acceptable only if return and forwarding postage is guaranteed and address correction is requested. Any material sent by second or third-class mail which is returned with an address correction shall be sent again by first-class mail or personally delivered to the participant at his or her work site."

So there is some requirement that mailed brochures be forwarded, but, to my knowledge, unless you leave a forwarding address with the post office, then you would not get the brochure. Return Receipt and delivery confirmation is not necessary, but they would have an obligation to find you if they received a non-deliverable return from the post office. You can view the particular regulations here.

If it was the case that they relieved a non-deliverable return from the post office, and you were prejudiced because of it, then you'd have a possible fiduciary violation claim against the plan. And you may want to report the same to the Dept of Labor - Employee Benefits Division here.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did not have a change of address, I just did not receive the info and the administrator unilaterally changed my investments that resulted is $11,000 less being earned than would have been earned under the original investments.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I see. Here's the best thought I can give you. First, you may have a claim of fiduciary violation. The plan is going to maintain that they sent it and did not get a non-deliverable return from the post office. You would have to prove both that you did not receive it and that they had notice that you did not get it. You'd have to attempt to prove this in discovery, which is the phase of a lawsuit in which each side asks for records and testimony from the other party to prove/defend their claim. You lost a fair amount of money because of this but I'm doubtful an attorney would take a case of this amount because the potential reward to the attorney is simply not worth it - wouldn't be worth their time. The other thing you could do is notify the department of labor here, and perhaps they will investigate and bring an administrative charge against the plan.
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3712
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.
John and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions