Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

Can physician be sued, if some one from her office reveals

Can physician be sued, if some one from her office reveals some thing about a patient to her ex boy friend

Hello there.

-

Yes, depending upon the nature of the information released and if it was damaging enough to be considered an Invasion of Privacy. All of the employees of the physician are agents of the physician and under the control of the physician and the physician is responsible if medical records are accessed by unauthorized persons and information is spread about you from those records or from appointments with the physician. While there has been a lot of publicity for the HIPPA laws regarding medical records access and privacy -- when there is a violation of the HIPPA laws, the only recourse that you have is to file a complaint with the US Dept of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and wait for DHHS to reprimand the doctor and the persons in the doctors offices. In order to actually bring a private lawsuit for monetary damages you will have to show that what was said was an invasion of your privacy (which it most likely was) and if the statements that were said about you were not true / false / damaging to your reputation, you can also sue for a Defamation of Character claim. My suggestion here is that you contact your local county bar association or the bar association in NYC (if you are close to NYC) and ask them for a referral to an attorney in your area who handles Invasion of Privacy / Defamation of Character claims (typically personal injury attorneys handle these types of claims quite frequently).

-

Please let me know if you have further questions.

-

THANK YOU

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just ANswer to pay me for my time in assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

Hello again Chandra --

-

Do you have any further questions for me? If not, can you please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time? I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below (I do not receive a paycheck) and so I truly DO appreciate your positive rating. Pressing the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time.

-

MARY