John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

Several years ago my father and step-mother added my step-sister

Several years ago my father and step-mother added my step-sister and myself to the deed on their property. My father is deceased and my step-mother is wanting to sell the house. Will she have to have my authoization to do that?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

If your names were added to the deed of the property you both will have to give consent to sell the property.

If they just changed their wills or a trust to leave you the property at their deaths then it is likely that she can sell the property without your consent.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the time of sale, would the funds be disbursed to each of the three parties separately?

Yes, depending on your exact ownership you would receive a percentage of the proceeds. There are lots of types of ownership that you could have so it is impossible to know your share without seeing the deed and possibly more information.