Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I worked for the 4th largest global company in the world.

I worked for the 4th largest global company in the world. early on, an executive who travelled to Chicago started sexually harassing me. I was afraid this might come out and I was afraid to lose my job. so in case they might find out, I went to my boss and asked about relationships within the company. He said they were forbidden. He took it to HR and they brought this executive in and he denied that he wanted a "relationship" with me. I also denied anything because I was afraid to lose my job. This relationship consisted of him promising me promotions if I would sleep with him. This happened on 3 occasions, additionally, when he was in the home office where I worked, he skipped the executive lunch and insisted on having a private lunch with me. He kept wanting me to fly to SF with him, etc.. I left the company in 2009 on disability. I was thinking of contacting legal and the company and asking for a $50,000 settlement. Your advice?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

You certainly can contact legal and discuss settlement options with them, but the issue you face is that the statute of limitations has expired. In Illinois, you have 300 days from the last instance of sexual harassment to bring suit.

TexLawyer :

Since this happened in 2009, you are well past that at this point. As such, they may reject your claim and see if you bring suit.

Customer:

How I can handle that? I have way more on this company. I left because I am bipolar and just couldn't handle dealing with this prior to now. How should I approach them with this issue?

TexLawyer :

At this point, some 4 or so years later, there is very little you can do regarding a sexual harassment lawsuit. Simply put, you can't win a lawsuit against them, and I'm sure their legal people will know that. You may consider starting with a relatively high settlement offer, but be willing to take much, much less.

Customer:

I was t

TexLawyer :

They may pay a few thousand just to avoid the expense and effort of litigation, but they will know that a sexual harassment suit is not possible at this point.

Customer:

I was thinking about asking for $50K just to make it go away

TexLawyer :

I understand, but they would have very little reason to settle for such a high amount.

Customer:

who in the company should I call, who in the legal department? Or should I contact someone else?

TexLawyer :

Yes, you should contact legal/

Customer:

What about $25K?

TexLawyer :

I'd start high, like $50k, but you need to be willing to accept a couple of thousand. Again, you can't successfully sue them because of the statute of limitations, so they would just be settling to save their time and money.

Customer:

They know about this, and it went to HR... so I will start with 50K... what if I threatened suit, would that make a difference?

TexLawyer :

Considering that their legal department knows your lawsuit is barred by the statute of limitations, I don't think that the threat of litigation would be a high concern for them.

Customer:

okay, I will start with 50K... thanks so much

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.