P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

This incident is in Pinal County, Arizona. My car broke down

Customer Question

This incident is in Pinal County, Arizona. My car broke down on the side of the road last month, and it was too hot for me to stay with it. When I went to pick it up two days later, it had been towed. We never received an impound notice or anything of the like, even to this day. After a few days, we realized we weren't going to receive a notice so we started calling around. We call three different Police departments and three different nearby tow yards and none knew where it was.

It took us a couple weeks to get a hold of Pinal County, at which point they connected us to DPS. DPS connected us to a towing company. Since then we've had issues with this company. By the time we found them, the fee was already at $600. The second time we called, they tried to tell us that it wasn't even there. It took a DPS officer calling for them to admit they still had it. Then they applied for an abandoned title and told us it wold be $1200 to get it out.

My question is whether we have any rights due to the fact that we never received an impound notification? I'm trying to decide if its worth fighting, or if I should just let them take the car.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an Arizona attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry to have to bear bad news. There is no Arizona law which would require the highway patrol (DPS) to notify you if your car was parked illegally and towed. So it is not likely you would be able to seek reimbursement from the county or state.

You do have the right to retrieve your car...but the towing company can charge you the towing fee and the storage fee before they release the car

Again, I am very sorry to have to bear bad news.
I am disheartened by the negative rating. Ma'am, I answer questions here, to folks like you, as a source of income for myself and my family. Negative ratings put that in jeopardy.

I am sorry that the law does not support you...but frankly, it would do neither of us any good for me to lie to you and tell you something that is not true but makes you feel better.

The sad truth is that the law does not require the highway patrol or DPS to notify you if your vehicle is towed.

Again, I am sorry to be the one who gets to bear that bad news

I wish you the best of luck Ma'am