Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

We are a Point of Sale software company located in Florida.

We are a Point of Sale software company located in Florida. We serve retail stores all across the United States. We have full control of the database of our client's invoices of sales to their end customers. We occasionally receive questions from our customers on how they can delete / modify their past invoices (our software provides some limited functionality in this area) or otherwise development requests to delete invoices from a certain period of time.

Are we allowed to assist our customers if any such requests are received?

Thank you for the information and your question. I can't think of lawful reason why someone would need to delete or modify an invoice, other than real time corrections of errors in POS transactions. I may be missing something because I am not using the software, but the take away is that you can be held liable for being an accessory to a crime, for example fraud or tax evasion, if you do not inquire into exactly why this needs to be done and conclude that the reason is lawful. So, you would want to be very cautious about doing so. Again though, there is a chance that there is some sort of legal reason why this needs to be done, but I don't see it absent the reason I mentioned.

Please let me know if you have any specific follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marsha,

Yes the concern is that our company would be liable for "assisting a crime" when invoices are modified to reflect less income to the IRS or otherwise deleted completely for tax evasion purposes. Perhaps we should avoid that completely to avoid such risks.

If it were me, I would do that unless, as I mentioned, you can think of some legitimate reason for this, that I can't think of.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to clarify, by "I would do that unless.." you mean not to assist the customer?

Yes, I would not be comfortable in assisting them with removal or deletion of invoices.
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 19th. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.