Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I did a very stupid thing, digging on Facebook with someone

I did a very stupid thing, digging on Facebook with someone I started seeing. I started to send messages (non-threatening) to a girl, we went back and forth and then she blocked me. I then contacted her son. They figured out it was me, and are threatening to sue me for harassment. I didn't say anything out of context, but I did contact them without knowing them. Any advise?

I live in Calif, they live in Puerto Rico.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you know whether the family has the resources to pursue legal action against you? Did they suffer damages as a result of your actions?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am not sure they have resources, they live in Puerto Rico, they seem decently well to do.

I can't see any damages, other than possibly claiming emotional. All I told her and her son was that I was seeing this man, we were together, and to what extent.

I see. Thank you for providing this additional information, Laura.

Unless they have money to burn, it is not likely they would take legal action against you, which would have to be filed in CA where you reside typically. It does not sound as though they have a viable claim against you in any case since you did not threaten them and there are no apparent damages which have been sustained.

The social media site could investigate and block your ability to use the site or the individuals could block you, and I would advise you to refrain from continuing to contact them any further.

However, I do not see a basis for them to take legal action, which would likely be very expensive to prosecute from PR.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You for your help, it was a lack of judgement. I have shut down that particular page and am off the social media. The message is actually from months ago but was just seen I guess.

The thing is, my friend took the rap for it, he said he did it and worked for me. I didn't want to throw him under the bus like that.

The IP address is from my work computer, it's all a big mess, but I appreciate your help.

Hello again, Laura.

It sounds as though you learned your lesson and will not engage in such conduct in the future. You are fortunate to have good friends like that, but hopefully you won't encounter this type of problem in the future.

I wish you all the best and take care.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.