TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a sub I owe money to and have been paying off slowly.

Customer Question

I have a sub I owe money to and have been paying off slowly. But I missed a couple of payments. Now he is telling everyone that I don't pay my bills including professtional groups that I am a member of. He is way past his lien rights (by about a year). Would this be slander or something?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about this.

For this to be slander, it has to be untrue. You could sue him for defamation here if he is saying that in general you don't pay your bills. The truth is that you did not pay one bill that you owe him, not all your bills. So, technically you could try to press a defamation case against him.

In these situations, the best thing to do is send a strongly worded CEASE and DESIST letter. Here is an example that you can use (with modifications for your case):