Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

What are the laws for the use of a canoe in Maine? Does it

Customer Question

What are the laws for the use of a canoe in Maine? Does it need to be registered? Can I use an electric trolling motor? What type of safety devices am I required to have?
Expert:  Ray replied 3 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.A canoe here without a motor does not have to be registered.If you put any kind of a motor on it trolling or otherwise it becomes a motor boat and must be registered and fees paid to the state.

RayAnswers :

Reference..

RayAnswers :

Same for kayaks here as well.

RayAnswers :

Registration of motorboats--if you decide to put a motor on it of any kind...

RayAnswers :

You may want to consider not putting a motor on it as it saves you registration fees here.

RayAnswers :

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

RayAnswers :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information