ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

A gentleman applied to our family dance camp to participate

A gentleman applied to our family dance camp to participate but has a criminal conviction for soliciting sex from a minor. Can we deny him entry to participate at camp? We are incorporated as a private nonprofit in Oregon but receive our group exempt status from our national/parent organization in MA.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Yes, you can absolutely deny him entry based upon this factor. There are no laws Federally or in Oregon that outlaw "criminal background discrimination". So long as the reason that you're doing this is because of the criminal background, it's certainly legal and permissible to deny him entry based on this factor.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.

Sorry, got booted off my internet and back question, what is the best way to respond to this person that despite room at camp, his application has been denied?

No problem. You can simply say that the application was denied (not mentioning the space available), but if he pushes you can say that you do not accept applications from individuals with the criminal history that he has.