TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

In the state of tx - can a person who finds a dog charge boarding

In the state of tx - can a person who finds a dog charge boarding fees and or grooming/vet fees to the owner of the dog when found?

Thank you for your question. I have carefully researched this answer.

What you are speaking of is known as a "gratuitous bailment", where in if a person finds lost property and cares for it, he/she becomes a bailee and is entitled to reimbursement of the expenses by the true owner of the property. This law has not been applied in Texas to the situation of a lost dog.

Texas law only provides that reimbursement for expenses must be made to shelters which taken in lost dogs before the owner is entitled to obtain possession of the dog.

You may request that the dog's expenses be paid, but there is no legal right to keep the dog unless the expenses are paid.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,