ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

Does Pennsylvania require an employer to offer long-term/short-term

Does Pennsylvania require an employer to offer long-term/short-term disabilites to employees?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

No. A Pennsylvania employer is not required to carry short-term and long-term disability benefits. However, many employers do provide these benefits. Unlike workers' compensation, short-term and long-term disability benefits are not limited to “work-related” injuries . These benefits cover any type of disability regardless of the cause.Workers comp IS mandatory for employers.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Is it possible to discontinue long-term/short-term disability coverage?

ScottyMacEsq :

As an employer? Certainly. Benefits are in the direction of the employer, and only if there's a contract (with a union, for example) could that other contract be enforced to force the employer to keep those benefits.