How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23605
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

then how can I legaly get my son to stay home and do what he

Resolved Question:

then how can I legaly get my son to stay home and do what he is to do. I must say I don't give my son gas money
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

I'm not a parenting expert. So, I can tell you that you can't confiscate a car given by someone else, but I can't tell you the best way to handle a teenage boy who thinks he's too good to listen to his parents. Legally, you can take away any benefit that you've given him. Do you do his laundry? You don't have to do that. Do you cook his meals? You don't have to do that, either. I mean, you can't starve him, but you can provide groceries and let him feed himself. Of course, that may involve also providing paper plates and plastic utensils, if he doesn't clean up after himself. Do you give him snack foods like chips, soda or junk food? The law doesn't require you to provide those things. Does he park in your garage? Take away the garage door opener. Are you a joint signer on his bank account? Joint signers can close accounts. (Typically, a minor needs an adult on the account with him, but some banks have other rules depending on the child's age.) Does he park in the driveway? Park behind him (at least for long enough to have a conversation - you'd have to move if the father showed up). You can assign other consequences to his actions. What does he want that you're giving him? Are you prepared to tell him that if he won't listen to you, he has to go live with his father? Can you lock him in his bedroom, or tell him that if he does not return by a certain time, you will lock the doors and he can go to his father's?

The other option is to go back to the family court and ask the judge to order the father to confiscate the car and not allow him to drive it. Or state that he is free to drive the truck at his father's, but that the vehicle is not allowed at your home. Tell the father that you don't' want the truck there and that he is trespassing if he does not remove it from your property.

Before taking action, though, you may want to consider talking to a parenting expert or taking your son to a family counselor. Some things that may be legal could run the risk of further alienating him, which isn't what you want. You may also run the risk that he will go to his father and ask for a change in custody. There's more of a risk of that with some more drastic punishments parents devise than if you just take him to counseling with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I ask my son to do things he get mad and leaves the house and will not come home does that mean if I call the police he can be brought home IHe already told me he wants to be mansapated, that he has a place at his friends house with this parents permission to live there for $20 a month. Will that hold up in court. I told him to go ahead and do it was that right thing to do?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Technically, yes, you could call the police, tell them he's a runaway, and have him dragged back home. That would be pretty embarrassing for him. If he thought you were likely to do that, I wonder if he would change his behavior at all. Any person over the age of 16 who allowed him to stay with them against your wishes could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, which is a misdemeanor.

Emancipation means that you can support yourself - not that you found someone else to put you up for $20/month. If he wants to be emancipated, he would have to show the judge a budget, which means (a) he'd have to go to work and (b) that he needs to include a reasonable cost of living somewhere. Emancipation isn't about leaving your parents because they impose rules on you. It's about being an adult and acting like one. He should also know that his friend's parents would likely want him to clean up after himself, because that's what adults do when they can't afford to hire a cleaning service. I can't know what's right for your situation, but I do wonder what would happen if a judge explained responsibility to him. He's in for a rude awakening if he thinks a judge is likely to emancipate him because he doesn't think he should have to treat you with respect, when he has no job and no legitimate prospects for supporting himself.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23605
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.