Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

We are sending our son to a sports camp for the week (wakeboarding

Customer Question

We are sending our son to a sports camp for the week (wakeboarding and trampoline park) and they are asking us to sign a hold harmless agreement which I understand is typical. However this agreement says we forever discharge and hold harmless from any and all liability claims and lawsuits (summing it up) from death, injury, etc., that may occur as a result of use or misuse of the facility including any equipment that malfunctions or breaks, improper maintenance of the facility or grounds or equipment, improper instruction or improper supervision.

I can understand that we assume risk from the nature of the sport, etc., but is it normal for us to assume and hold harmless any risk from this facility not properly maintaining or servicing their equipment or for their staff not properly supervising or instructing our child or if they give the wrong instructions? Furthermore, if we sign this (and it is pretty detailed and seems to be pretty Iron Clad), does this basically eliminate any and all possibility of suing if something did occur (because we did agree in advance?) I am assuming they will not let him attend if we do not sign, but I want to understand what we are signing! Thanks!
Expert:  Loren replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

As a general rule, releases are valid. However, you do have a chance to get past the release where you can prove gross negligence or intentional acts.. So, it is not as water tight as it seems. Courts will uphold a hold harmless agreement supported by consideration, but if they can find a way around it, they often will find an exception.

Additionally, there is some conflict as to whether the a hold harmless signed by a parent is binding on a minor after reaching majority.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.