Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

hi I have been served on a civil case can I legally sell some

hi I have been served on a civil case can I legally sell some of my assets to pay for attorney
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. In which state are you located, and in which case is the lawsuit pending?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi I am been being sued by an investor .and have not been to court yet .can I legally sell some of my assets to pay for attorney ?

Hi again. I do understand the question, and I just need this bit of information. The lawsuit was filed in a court--in which state's court are you being sued? Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry ky

Thanks for that information. I should start by saying that because the nuances of every situation are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without consulting in person with an attorney who can examine your civil complaint in person. That said, there are no automatic injunctions against disposing of personal property when sued in a civil matter in Kentucky. In plain English, this means that the Kentucky courts allow you to sell your stuff to pay for an attorney or anything else, even if a lawsuit is pending. There are always exceptions--for example, it's possible that a creditor could seek an injunction (restraining order) that prohibits a defendant from selling their property so as to protect their ability to recover, but even in those situations, the defendant would have to receive an order from the court that specifically limits their ability to dispose of their assets.

So, in short, it is ordinarily lawful for a defendant to sell his personal property to pay for an attorney in Kentucky. In the rare cases when it wouldn't be lawful, the defendant would know.

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.