Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

We now find ourselves in the position of being surrigate grandparents

We now find ourselves in the position of being surrigate grandparents to a young lady who will soon be released from prison on an assault with a deadly wepeon conviction. She will have a restitution hearing soon.If We choose to lend her the money to pay ALL of the agreed restitution amount up front is there any chance that the amount could be greatly reduced and her probation eliminated She has been a model prisioner We have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO THIS GIRL WHAT SO EVER !
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

It is not likely that restitution would be reduced since it is meant to be compensatory. The payment of restitution is, likely, only one condition of the probation. The payment of the restitution is something which decreases the likelihood of the probation being violated by nonpayment, but the court will not shorten probation based upon that payment.

Before putting up any money, I strongly recommend that you speak to your own attorney to work out details and decide if this is in your and her best interest.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and for your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Howard, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.