Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

On July 11th I bought an as is car for my son by the 14th the

On July 11th I bought an as is car for my son by the 14th the car had problems and according to the mechanic it is completely done for. I realize the implication of as is. This is however is not okay to not even get a week out the car. I contacted the salesman and he told me that in long story form that I was basically out of luck and what did I expect at that price point. The car was purchased in South Dakota in Rapid city with my credit/debit card. Would it be legal to get the car back to the dealer and dispute the charge ?
Thank you so much
Teresa Nelson
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, I am sorry to tell you that there is no general right of return for the sale of a car. If you dispute the charge it will not survive the debit/debit card company's investigation unless the charge was not authorized, which it was.

You have a couple of options. You can make a consumer complaint with the SD Attorney General. They will investigate and take an action, if warranted.

You can also sue the dealer for breach of contract and fraud. Your allegation is that they knew the defective condition of the vehicle and concealed that information from you. It is not the strongest case, but it may motivate the dealer to try to make things ok for you.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Teresa, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.